Monitoring kickstart install status

Hugh Brown hbrown at divms.uiowa.edu
Wed May 4 18:23:31 UTC 2011

On 05/04/2011 01:11 PM, Chun Tat David Chu wrote:
> Hi Hugh,
>
> Thanks for your feedback.  Our reporting is hoping to be a percentage and
> the load time would probably be around 10 mins or so.  I like your idea
> about monitoring both anaconda.log and install.log.
>
> Would putting something like "I'm done" in the last line of %post would
> ensure that's the last thing that is being executed by anaconda? or that's
> just close enough to being the last thing?
>
> Thanks for your valuable opinions.
>
> - David

The scripts that are run from %post are effectively the last thing that
happens (that we have any control over).  So you could put another
python script or shell script in %post that would contact your
monitoring server to indicate completion.

For example, in looking at a machine that just loaded, the last line in
anaconda.log is time stamped 12:07:18.  The log files that I create from
scripts within %post are timestamped from 12:07 to 12:14.

The next available time to indicate completion would be to drop a
"firstboot" style script into the newly installed machine and have it
report after the reboot.  After it reports, it could remove/disable itself.

Hugh