Use entire disk as PV.

Moray Henderson Moray.Henderson at ict-software.org
Tue May 10 13:11:35 UTC 2011

Speagle, Andy wrote: > Sent: 10 May 2011 13:53
> > Did you use a double dash for “--preexisting”?  I didn’t notice as I
> was typing it that Outlook had
> > “helpfully” changed the two dashes to a single emdash.  Did the
> pvcreate command actually work: does that
> > disk now have a full-disk PV on it?  In the pvcreate documentation, I
> just came across
>
> Aye, I had used the --useexisting option with the double-hyphen.
>
> > Here’s something else to try:
> >
> > echo "part pv.01 --onpart sdb --grow" >> /tmp/custom-part
> > echo "volgroup rootvg /dev/sdb pv.01" >> /tmp/custom-part
> >
> > If kickstart refuses to create a partition on sdb, you will have to
> do something like
> >
> > lvm pvcreate /dev/sdb
> > lvm vgcreate rootvg /dev/sdb
> > echo "logvol / --fstype ext3 --name=root --vgname=rootvg --size=4096
> --useexisting" >> /tmp/custom-part
>
> This seems to have worked for the RHEL 6 installer.  RHEL 5.5 still
> barfs on this saying that no VG exists with the name "rootvg" ...
>
> I have filed a BZ with this as a feature request.  I hope this gets
> added at some point.  It should be fairly trivial to do.

Is it any better in RHEL 5.6?
Were you able to tell if the lvm commands in the %pre script actually worked?  Try them manually from a kickstart shell; that may give a clue where things are going wrong.  If the volgroup is being created, maybe kickstart in RHEL 5.5 isn't re-reading the disk information.  Maybe there's some way to get it to do that, or at worst get your %pre script to detect whether the disk has volgroup information.  If not, create it and reboot; else write /tmp/custom-part to create the logical volumes and continue the install.

Moray.
“To err is human; to purr, feline.”