Use entire disk as PV.

Chad Darnielle darn570-linux at yahoo.com
Sun May 15 16:43:13 UTC 2011

Andy,

I have similar requirements and have went in search of how to do this through kickstart/anaconda. For RHEL 5 I ended up using vmware templates which was something I had hoped to avoid so it's good to hear that hopefully with RHEL 6 I might be able to get away from this at least with %pre functionality. My Red Hat technical contact was supposed to file through internal channels an RFE on this as well which I need to check on. Do you mind sharing the BZ# you submitted so I can reference this as well. I haven't had a chance to see if the rescue environment has caught up with this practice or not.

The reason I had looked at the whole disk model was for our virtualized environment as well on VMware. We usually do disk/file system expansions dynamically. With RHEL 5 on VMware I attempted to get away from our historical model of addind a new LUN, partition, and then add to LVM, etc. There was also some performance recommendations from VMware to keep the number of virtual disks low per VMFS volume and other VM sizing considerations (# of LUN's per virtual storage controller).

For my VM's I am essentially creating a single 512m partitioned disk for /boot, and then a large unpartitioned disk for the LVM PV which hosted everything else. Whenever I needed to increase space I would resize the second LUN in VMware, poke the correct sysfs items, & then run a pvresize, etc.

I'm assuming I can probably do the samething with partitions by resizing the partition (assuming it's at the end of the
 disk) that hosts the PV but I didn't have any extensive experience with resizing partitions. I have had past issues with changes to the partition table requiring reboots so I shyed away from really exploring this too deeply based on the amount of time I had. Altering the partition table on a live system also gives me and other system admins here the creeps :-).

Chad