Driver disk loading via NFS fails on Cisco switch, OK on Dell

whitivery co55-sy1t at dea.spamcon.org
Tue Nov 15 08:45:08 UTC 2011

david klein <root at nachtmaus.us> wrote:

>Check to see if the client, switch and up-stream router agree on maximum
>frame-size (i.e. if one is trying to do jumbo-frames and the other can't,
>it can cause troubles). Make sure the switch-port that the client is using
>is setup as an access-port, not a trunk. Set the client's port for
>spanning-tree portfast and turn on BPDU-guard.

Thank you for the response.  Had already tried spanning-tree portfast
before turning off spanning-tree entirely, no difference.  I will look
into the other things you mention.

Updated observations:

- Problem happens exactly the same with a switch at the opposite
  end of the complexity spectrum - Netgear 5 port 10/100Mbps
  Switch FS605 v3.

- I noticed that on the good switch, you see two eth0 dialogs
  flash up before it proceeds; on a bad switch, only see one eth0
  dialog then the empty blue screen.

- If while it's in the failure state with the empty blue screen,
  I move the target's network connection to the good switch, it
  immediately takes off and continues the kickstart process
  properly.