installing onto a loopback device

Piotr R tytus64 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 19:09:06 UTC 2012

I am trying to create a disk image with a customized version of Cento6
installation on my Centos6 machine. I am planning to dump this image to a
disk of an embedded device. I thought I could use a loopback device as the
installation destination instead of  a real disk but when I put "loop0" in
kickstart file I am getting the following error:

The following error was found while parsing the kickstart configuration
file:

The following problem occurred on line 36 of the kickstart file:

Specified nonexistent disk loop0 in partition command

Here is my kickstart file:

#platform=x86, AMD64, or Intel EM64T
#version=DEVEL
# Firewall configuration
firewall --disabled
# Install OS instead of upgrade
install
# Use hard drive installation media
repo --name=centos6 --baseurl=file://my/repo/path/centos6_repo/os/x86_64
# Root password
rootpw --iscrypted $1$2ThvVzg7$PCHK8TnCECOjzbRV4VPzo1
# Network information
#network --onboot yes --device eth1 --bootproto dhcp --noipv6
#network  --bootproto=dhcp --device=eth1 --onboot=on
# System authorization information
auth --useshadow --passalgo=sha512
# Use graphical install
#graphical
# System keyboard
keyboard us
# System language
lang en_US
# SELinux configuration
selinux --disabled
# Do not configure the X Window System
skipx
# Installation logging level
logging --level=debug
# System timezone
timezone  America/New_York
# System bootloader configuration
bootloader --location=mbr --driveorder=loop0
# Partition clearing information
#clearpart --all --drives=loop0 --initlabel
# Disk partitioning information
part / --fstype="ext4" --grow --ondisk=loop0 --size=1

%packages --excludedocs --nobase
@core --nodefaults
#anaconda

-ipw2100-firmware
-ipw2200-firmware
-ivtv-firmware
-iwl100-firmware
-iwl1000-firmware
-iwl3945-firmware
-iwl4965-firmware
-iwl5000-firmware
-iwl5150-firmware
-iwl6000-firmware
-iwl6000g2a-firmware
-iwl6000g2b-firmware
-iwl6050-firmware
#-kernel-firmware
-libertas-usb8388-firmware
-ql2100-firmware
-ql2200-firmware
-ql23xx-firmware
-ql2400-firmware
-ql2500-firmware
-rt61pci-firmware
-rt73usb-firmware
-xorg-x11-drv-ati-firmware
-zd1211-firmware

%end

%post --erroronfail
#!/bin/bash
umount /proc/bus/usb
umount /proc
umount /sys
umount /selinux
umount /dev/pts
umount /dev/shm
umount /dev
%end

reboot

The empty image fle was created in the following way:

# qemu-img create -f raw /my/path/cie.img 1G

and then attached to /dev/loop0 (before running anaconda):
# losetup -v -f /my/path/cie.img
Loop device is /dev/loop0

Any help greatly appreciated,

Piotr