kickstart vs. /etc/login.defs

Moray Henderson Moray.Henderson at ict-software.org
Thu Jan 26 14:52:37 UTC 2012

> From: Michael Hennebry [mailto:hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu]
> Sent: 26 January 2012 14:13
>
> >From
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/16/html/Release_Notes/sect-Releas
e_Notes-Changes_for_Sysadmin.html#id3021598
> "If you need to install a new system from scratch, while starting user
> accounts from 500 (to connect the system to a network with
> globally-defined UIDs), install using a kickstart script that places
> /etc/login.defs on the file system before package installation starts."

Any Fedora developers care to comment here?

Although documentation is a major source of frustration in the Open Source
world, the other guys aren't really any better.  I just got a great pop-up
on Win 7 today: "A program running on this computer is trying to display a
message." It gave 2 options: "View the message" and "Ask me later".  I mean:
WHAT??

Moray.
"To err is human; to purr, feline."