Keeping up with the changes

From: Kaj Niemi [mailto:kajtzu a51 org]
Sent: 29 January 2012 01:40

You did not mention which rhel version you are using but interfaces on dells in rhel 6.1 will show up as em1, em2, etc. by default instead of eth0, eth1. Both dell and redhat mention it in their docs.

Pretty soon I’m going to have to start updating the software I develop and maintain for RHEL 6.  Apparently, I’m going to have to rewrite the entire set of perfectly-working network code because many (but not all) of my customers use Dells.  What’s the best place to keep up with changes like this - to learn not just what they are, but the reasons for them and the lists of exactly what hardware combinations produce which responses in the OS?

Moray.

“To err is human; to purr, feline.”