[Libguestfs] /config.status

Jim Meyering jim at meyering.net
Mon Aug 10 12:16:31 UTC 2009

Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 12:07:41PM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>> However rerunning autogen.sh fixes it.  Any ideas why?
>
> Actually, it's running ./bootstrap that fixes it.  But I'm
> still not clear why since it seems like autogen should run
> bootstrap.

As opposed to pulling the script into autogen.sh?
Part of the reason is that typically bootstrap is much larger, e.g.,

  http://git.sv.gnu.org/cgit/coreutils.git/tree/bootstrap

I tried to extract out only the bare minimum for libguestfs.

We learned via libvirt that when people use "git pull" to
pull in a new snapshot of gnulib, it's important to make the
usual autogen.sh script detect that and automatically take the
unusual step of re-running the relatively expensive bootstrap script.

Luckily, gnulib is stable enough that few projects need to update
to a new version frequently.