[Libguestfs] selinux question and answer

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Aug 13 09:41:57 UTC 2009

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 10:22:03AM +0100, Matthew Booth wrote:
> On 12/08/09 20:04, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> >On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 02:41:16PM -0400, Daniel J Walsh wrote:
> >>F11, F12, F..., RHEL6 ...
> >>setcon("unconfined_u:unconfined_r:unconfined_t:s0")
> >>
> >>RHEL5
> >>setcon("user_u:system_r:unconfined_t:s0")
> >>
> >>Would be valid, then you do not need to worry about executing a shell.
> >
> >Matt maybe we want this patch after all?
> >

> Ok. We have a use case (/etc/mtab) which would be broken without this.
> I'd go ahead and add it.
>
> I'm inclined to try setcon to an ordered list of targets, stopping when
> one works. So far, I think we've got:
>
> 1. unconfined_u:unconfined_r:unconfined_t:s0
> 2. user_u:system_r:unconfined_t:s0
> 3. system_u:object_r:unconfined_t:s0
>
> sysadm_t was mentioned on our call yesterday as being the root login
> domain for an MLS policy. What's a good set for MLS?

Could you discover the neccessary/supported targets from the semanage,

eg

# semanage user -l

                Labeling   MLS/       MLS/
SELinux User    Prefix     MCS Level  MCS Range                      SELinux Roles

root            user       s0         SystemLow-SystemHigh           system_r sysadm_r user_r
system_u        user       s0         SystemLow-SystemHigh           system_r
user_u          user       s0         SystemLow-SystemHigh           system_r sysadm_r user_r

Daniel