[Libguestfs] CHROOT_IN and CHROOT_OUT

Matthew Booth mbooth at redhat.com
Tue Aug 18 10:57:13 UTC 2009

I hit the following weirdness in guestfish:

 ><fs> ll /../proc/modules
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Aug 18 10:37 /sysroot/../proc/modules

 ><fs> cat /../proc/modules
libguestfs: error: open: /../proc/modules: No such file or directory

The underlying reason for this seems to be that ll uses sysroot_path to
establish a path before operating on it, whereas cat uses CHROOT_IN and
CHROOT_OUT to open() inside a chroot. It seems to me that wherever a
path is used directly by a command, there should never be a reason to
use chroot because the real path can always be worked out. The only
place I see for using a chroot is in command and sh.

Is it worth making a bulk CHROOT_IN and CHROOT_OUT removal patch?

Matt
--
Matthew Booth, RHCA, RHCSS

M:       +44 (0)7977 267231
GPG ID:  D33C3490
GPG FPR: 3733 612D 2D05 5458 8A8A 1600 3441 EA19 D33C 3490