[Libguestfs] how to clear <defunct> qemu-system-x86 processes

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Fri Aug 21 09:26:20 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 04:08:31PM +0800, cyliu7 wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a long term running program which call libguestfs to check VM
> images. but i found that each time after i call guestfs_close(), the
> qeum-system-x86 process which is forked by libguestfs changes to
> <defunct> process.
>
> as docs of guestfs_close said "This closes the connection handle and
> frees up all resources used.", so this is a bug or is there any other
> way to clear them.

It should remove them automatically -- in fact it does for me.

You'll need to give us some more details about your system:

What operating system is this?

What version of libguestfs?

Did you use our binaries or compile it yourself?

Are you using the C API directly?

Do you get the same problem from guestfish or from libguestfs-test-tool?

Rich.