[Libguestfs] fedoostrap or deboostrap requirement

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Jul 8 21:45:33 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 11:57:01PM +0300, Piavlo wrote:
>  Hi,
>
> While trying to ./configure libguestfs on gentoo fails since it requires
> feboostrap or deboostrap
> Can this be made optional and not as necessary requirement, since there
> are still many useful uses for libguestfs
> besides bootstrapping, which can be used on distros like gentoo.

You probably want to read this:

  http://www.libguestfs.org/guestfs.3.html#state_machine_and_low_level_event_api

and this:

  http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-virt/2009-May/msg00003.html

The choices are:

(1) Port febootstrap + yum to Gentoo (not so hard).

(2) Change libguestfs to use portage.  (This was already done for the
Debian/debootstrap combo).

(3) Use the binary blobs from another machine, but note that we no
longer build full appliances in the Fedora RPMs.
http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=8391

Rich.