[Libguestfs] Whither virt-inspector packaging?

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu Jul 16 08:47:48 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 08:43:42PM -0500, Charles Duffy wrote:
> Looking at epel-testing, while libguestfs-* 1.0.57-2 is available,
> virt-inspector does not appear to be.
>

> http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/rpms/libguestfs/EL-5/libguestfs.spec?view=markup
> shows the virt-inspector bits commented out, and
> http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/rpms/libguestfs/EL-5/libguestfs.spec?view=log
> doesn't appear to have an explanation.
>
> Wuzzup? :)

Unfortunately we're in a bind here.

virt-inspector (and virt-v2v, df, cat) require Dan Berrange's
Sys::Virt library, which are Perl bindings to libvirt.

This is not in EPEL at the moment, and since it is scheduled to be
added to RHEL 5.4, we cannot add it to EPEL either (since it would
have to be removed about a month later).

If you build your own RPM of Sys::Virt [1], then you can build
virt-inspector etc just fine on EPEL.  However we won't be able to add
it to the official build until after RHEL 5.4 has been released.

Rich.

[1] There is a specfile in Dan's repository:
http://hg.berrange.com/libraries/sys-virt--devel?mf=bff84bb02009;path=/

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v