[Libguestfs] virt-v2v

I've attached v2v/STATUS. There's still a bit to do. I'm not yet proposing this for inclusion, just discussion.

Apart from the tool itself, I think there's mileage in considering how the functionality of Sys::Guestfs::Lib could be given more structure. I think there's considerable mileage in moving much of Sys::Guestfs::Lib into Sys::Guestfs::GuestOS.

I haven't tried to code anything for Debian in what's here. However, the intention is that a Sys::Guestfs::GuestOS::Debian module would implement this. Much of the functionality in Sys::Guestfs::GuestOS::RedHat should be common with Debian, so I'd expect common code to be stripped out of it, maybe into Sys::Guestfs::GuestOS::Linux.

The best way to read the code is to start from 'Start of processing' in virt-v2v.pl. Everything above that is trivia to do with command line parsing. The main body is only a single page, and shows what order things are called into, and how they fit together.

Matt
--
Matthew Booth, RHCA, RHCSS

M:       +44 (0)7977 267231
GPG ID:  D33C3490
GPG FPR: 3733 612D 2D05 5458 8A8A 1600 3441 EA19 D33C 3490
What (hopefully) works
----------------------

Read a guest description from a libvirt xml file.

Automatic snapshot creation and corresponding guest metadata rewrite.

Detection of virtio capable kernel.
  Installation of new kernel if appropriate
  Rebuild of mkinitrd

Configuration of virtio drivers.

Example command-line:

./v2v/run-v2v-locally --with rhel.5.i386.kernel=/home/mbooth/kernel-2.6.18-128.1.14.el5.i686.rpm /media/passport/RHEL52PV32-20090213.xml foo

Required features not yet implemented
-------------------------------------

Completion of metadata rewrite
  Xen specific metadata is identified, but not changed
  Rewrite of storage metadata to use virtio

Remap drive names in a guest
  This is mostly done, just needs to be stuck into HVTarget::Linux somewhere

Automatic configuration of a new guest via libvirt

Get guest metadata direct from libvirt (libvirt MetadataReader)

Network/Bridge mapping for libvirtxml reader

POD everywhere

Windows support

Important features not yet implemented

Commit snapshot storage to original image

Online help for module specific options

Roadmap features

Snapshot storage module should use libvirt APIs

In-place storage module

Data copy storage module

OVF metadata reader

VMWare HVSource