[Libguestfs] [RFC] Unify KVM kernel-space and user-space code into a single project

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon Mar 22 14:01:06 UTC 2010

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 02:56:47PM +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> Just curious: any plans to extend this to include live read/write access as
> well?
>
> I.e. to have the 'agent' (guestfsd) running universally, so that
> tools such as perf and by users could rely on the VFS integration as
> well, not just disaster recovery tools?

Totally.  That's not to say there is a definite plan, but we're very
open to doing this.  We already wrote the daemon in such a way that it
doesn't require the appliance part, but could run inside any existing
guest (we've even ported bits of it to Windoze ...).

The only remaining issue is how access control would be handled.  You
obviously wouldn't want anything in the host that can get access to
the vmchannel socket to start sending destructive write commands into
guests.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-df/