[Libguestfs] appliance VM won't start, can't find /init, but /init is in the image.

David Konerding dek at konerding.com
Fri Aug 12 16:52:55 UTC 2011

On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 9:39 AM, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 09:34:38AM -0700, David Konerding wrote:
> > Gotcha.  I can confirm that
> > $ apt-cache depends --recurse -i bash libc6 | grep -v '^[<[:space:]]' |
> grep
> > libc
> > is empty, while
> >
> > $ apt-cache depends --recurse -i libc6 | grep -v '^[<[:space:]]' | grep
> libc
> > lists libc6.
> >
> > Just to explore a bit more:
> > $ apt-cache depends --recurse -i bash libc6
> > bash
> >   Depends: base-files
> >   Depends: debianutils
> >   PreDepends: dash
> >   PreDepends: libc6
> >   PreDepends: libncurses5
> >
> > I'm going to check with our local distribution developers and see what's
> > going on.
>
> Simplest workaround is to add any packages that are missing directly to:
>
>  appliance/packagelist.in
>
> then rebuild the appliance (make -C appliance clean all).
>
> Possibly febootstrap should include PreDepends dependencies?  For some
> reason this issue doesn't affect us on Debian / Ubuntu later versions.

I'm guessing this has to be a bug in Ubuntu 10.04 apt-cache.  If I leave out
--recurse,
$ apt-cache depends -i bash libc6 | grep -v '^[<[:space:]]' | grep libc
libc6

Adding --recurse should not cause packages to not be listed.  I imagine
whatever bug caused this was fixed between the 10.04 and 10.10, since my
home box running 10.10 doesn't have this problem.