[Libguestfs] appliance VM won't start, can't find /init, but /init is in the image.

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Fri Aug 12 17:35:00 UTC 2011

On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 10:19:56AM -0700, David Konerding wrote:
> Are you sure this should work?  I see that libc6 makes it into packagelist,
> and the febootstrap invocation includes libc6, but it never downloads libc6.
>
> I did a few verification steps:
> 1) aptitude download libc6 works
> 2) extracting the deb works
>
> so it seems like there is some step between listing a package in
> packagelist, and febootstrap actually invoking the aptitutde download
> command for the package.  I've skimmed the febootstrap code, it doesn't seem
> like it would actively filter anything not in the exclude list (which I
> verified doesn't list libc6).

Actually you're right, this isn't direct.

It will pass libc6 as an argument to apt-cache depends [...], which
then presumably is ignoring it or not printing it in the output for
whatever reason.

There's not an especially easy way to do this without modifying
febootstrap sources:

http://git.annexia.org/?p=febootstrap.git;a=blob;f=febootstrap_debian.ml;h=4aa7389657aedf281a6aa908984a02891de801be;hb=HEAD#l35

Then recompiling febootstrap and adding /path/to/febootstrap and
/path/to/febootstrap/helper to $PATH.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-df/