Re: [Libguestfs] appliance VM won't start, can't find /init, but /init is in the image.

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 12:25 AM, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones redhat com> wrote:
On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 08:49:01PM -0700, David Konerding wrote:

I forgot to add last night that your problem sounds like missing udev.
If you get a process listing (ps ax) is udevd running?  On Ubuntu
11.04 in virt-rescue I get:

  43 ?        S<s    0:00 /sbin/udevd --daemon
 367 ?        S<     0:00 /sbin/udevd --daemon
 368 ?        S<     0:00 /sbin/udevd --daemon

udevd is definitely there (I see 1 instance, not three).  udevd complains about /dev/null being missing, and /dev is pretty empty (there is only a kmsg file there).

The other big problem I see right now is that virtio-serial isn't working properly (which is the ultimate message I see).  I'm trying to debug that a bit by manually starting a simple KVM with the virtio-console flags and seeing if that works.

> OK.  I fixed the /sys problem: no /sys directory exists in the base image,
> so mounting fails.  I edited inittab, and added mkdir /sys , this seems to
> help.
> Isn't this normally created by febootstrap?

In Ubuntu 11.04 it's created by the initscripts package.

> I have no fstab, but this doesn't really cause any problems AFAICT.

This is correct in fact.  In the Ubuntu 11.04 appliance there is no
/etc/fstab and it doesn't affect anything.

> The next one is eth0.  The KVM invocation in test-tools is this; I see no
> -net option to setup a network interface.

eth0 isn't really important.  It's only added if you add the --network
option to virt-rescue.

I think there is something far more fundamental broken in your
appliance.  Missing udev would be my guess.  Is /dev there?  What does
it contain?

For my Ubuntu 11.04 appliance:

 # ls -l /dev/ | wc -l

lists disk usage of guests without needing to install any
software inside the virtual machine.  Supports Linux and Windows.