[Libguestfs] Trying to use virt-p2v

Greg Scott GregScott at Infrasupport.com
Wed Aug 31 17:41:44 UTC 2011

I should post this here -

I am trying to do a P2V migration for a Windows server and I want to use
virt-p2v and virt-v2v.  But I obviously don't know what I'm doing. The
goal is to have this physical Windows server come alive as a RHEL
libvirt guest virtual machine.

I built a Virt-p2v-image-builder CD and successfully booted a source
Windows server from the CD.  It prompts me for a conversion server, as
expected.

Now my struggle - what do I do on the conversion server?  This is the
RHEL 6.1 host where the virtual machines will live.  I've been
experimenting with virt-v2v commands but now I am out of ideas.  Below
is the latest challenge - I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.

> [root at megahost gregs]# sh -v EOCHSP2V.sh
> date
> Wed Aug 31 11:53:39 CDT 2011
> virt-v2v -ic ssh://10.10.10.127/?no_verify=1 -o libvirt -os
EOCHSVMStorage --bridge br0  10.10.10.127
> virt-v2v: Failed to connect to ssh://10.10.10.127/?no_verify=1:
libvirt error code: 38, message:  Cannot access CA certificate
'/etc/pki/CA/cacert.pem': No such file or directory
> date
> Wed Aug 31 11:53:40 CDT 2011

What's up with that?  A certificate error???

With virt-v2v, I tell it the host and guest virtual machine to migrate.
But what if I am migrating a physical machine booted from that CD?  So
any guidance or documentation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

- Greg Scott