[Libguestfs] P2Vs seem to require a very robust Ethernet

Greg Scott GregScott at Infrasupport.com
Fri Dec 2 10:00:58 UTC 2011

I did one with ntbackup and restore a few months ago and ran into problems
with the virtual cpu not matching the virtual bios. That one was in a
libvirt environment and that VM will retire soon.  But with the current
project, these VMs will be around a while.

Sent from my Droid Charge on Verizon 4GLTE

Matthew Booth <mbooth at redhat.com> wrote:

On 12/02/2011 03:12 AM, Greg Scott wrote:
> Hey Matt -
>
> With a new release of virt-v2v a while away, what if we were to try a
> P2V by hand?  I'm thinking of maybe provisioning a Windows RHEV VM,
> doing an ntbackup of the source physical machine and doing a bare metal
> restore on the VM.  I've done it that way before with mixed results.
>
> We have that hack I put together to load the viostor block driver stuff
> on the source machine so the target VM will boot.  Are there any HAL
> kinds of things or other hardware/firmware issues we need to also be
> thinking about?

Windows mostly fixes itself. If it boots and you don't see any missing
drivers in Device Manager, you're probably good to go.

Matt
--
Matthew Booth, RHCA, RHCSS

GPG ID:  D33C3490
GPG FPR: 3733 612D 2D05 5458 8A8A 1600 3441 EA19 D33C 3490