[Libguestfs] P2Vs seem to require a very robust Ethernet

Greg Scott GregScott at Infrasupport.com
Fri Dec 2 23:57:18 UTC 2011

After 5 or 6 hours, we aborted today's attempt, disconnected the 2nd HDD
(sdb) from the original host, and started up a new one.

Since all we have to go on are guesses - there was a bug with the
Windows virtio network driver where the driver would go offline during
bulk copies.  I bring this up because our P2V conversion server is a
Fedora VM, probably using the Linux virtio driver. Was there a similar
bug with the Linux VirtIO driver?

One possible sequence of events:
- Data flies fast and furious in and out of the conversion server VM to
the NFS server.
- The conversion server VM NIC goes offline.
- The source host eventually hangs or dies.
- virt-p2v-server eventually gives up and writes a cryptic log message.

Another possible sequence of events:
- The source server starts copying.
- The source server runs into a problem and either hangs or dies.
- Virt-p2v-server on the conversion server eventually times out waiting
for data.

What do you think about trying a physical conversion server, possibly
using itself as the NFS Server and RHEV Export domain?

- Greg