[Libguestfs] Updated Windows P2V migration recipe 2011-1209

Matthew Booth mbooth at redhat.com
Mon Dec 12 10:04:50 UTC 2011

On 12/10/2011 04:12 AM, Greg Scott wrote:
> Windows RHEV P2V Cookbook draft 2011-1209
>
> 1.  Install 32 bit Fedora 16 as a virtual machine or physical host.  You will use this system to
> build a .ISO file to burn to CD.  Later in the process, you'll boot a source physical machine from
> this CD.

You don't need this step any more. You can do this all on a single
64-bit system.

> 2.  Install 64 bit Fedora 16 as another virtual machine or physical host.  This will become your migration
> server.
>
> 3.  On both the 32 and 64 bit F16 systems, cd /etc/yum.repos.d and edit the file named fedora-updates-testing.repo.  Change all lines that say "enabled=0" to "enabled=1".

This is a temporary step, which will expire 2 weeks from now when the
new virt-v2v and virt-p2v are pushed to stable.

> 4 - Download and install virt-v2v on both the 32 and 64 bit systems.  (yum install virt-v2v).  Virt-v2v is a package to migrate virtual machines from one virtual environment to either libvirt or RHEV.  It also includes the P2V extensions.  Note that as of 12/9/2011, the latest version is in the fedora-updates-testing repository.  That is why you need the above step to enable the necessary repositories.
>
> 5 - Download, install, and run virt-p2v-image-builder (yum install virt-p2v-image-builder) on the 32 bit
> system.  virt-p2v-image-builder is a tool that builds a .ISO file for source physical machines to boot from.
> Do this on the 32 bit system so it builds a 32 bit kernel so you can use it to boot 32 bit hardware.  Note that yum list available | grep v2v only shows virt-p2v-image-builder on the 32 bit system and not on the 64 bit system.  For now, run it like this:
>
> virt-p2v-image-builder -a http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/updates/testing/16/i386

As I mentioned above, you can now run this on your 64 bit system. The
result will still be an i386 boot iso. Also, explicitly adding the
testing repo won't be required in a couple of weeks when we've pushed
the release to stable.

You mentioned in a follow up email that this command will output a bunch
of error messages. This is completely normal when building live CD
images, and can be ignored.

> Burn the resulting .ISO file to a CD.  You won't need the 32 bit system any more.
>

> All subsequent Fedora operations will happen on the 64 bit system.
>
> 6. yum install and/or update libguestfs.  This downloads and installs libguestfs-1.14.2-1.fc16.x86_64 and all
> its dependencies.  (Much easier than downloading all the RPMs by hand.)
>
> 7.  Edit /usr/bin/virt-p2v-server and uncomment this line
>
> #$ENV{'LIBGUESTFS_TRACE'} = 1;
>
> This is not strictly necessary for running P2V migrations, but the migration is a complex process and you will want the diagnostic info in case something goes wrong.
>
> 7 - Edit the target profile on the Fedora system (/etc/virt-v2v.conf).  This describes the environment to
> migrate into.  The .conf file is separated into sections.  Copy the appropriate section, paste it in the
> bottom, remove the comment markers, and customize with correct names of objects for this site.
>
> 8 - Take a look at the directory /var/lib/virt-v2v.  It should look like this:
>
> [root at Fedora16P2V virt-v2v]# pwd
> /var/lib/virt-v2v
> [root at Fedora16P2V virt-v2v]# ls -al -R
> .:
> total 20
> drwxr-xr-x.  3 root root 4096 Dec  9 21:30 .
> drwxr-xr-x. 49 root root 4096 Nov 19 14:40 ..
> drwxr-xr-x.  3 root root 4096 Dec  9 21:30 software
> -rw-r--r--.  1 root root 7050 Dec  5 08:46 virt-v2v.db
>
> ./software:
> total 12
> drwxr-xr-x. 3 root root 4096 Dec  9 21:30 .
> drwxr-xr-x. 3 root root 4096 Dec  9 21:30 ..
> drwxr-xr-x. 2 root root 4096 Dec  9 21:30 windows
>
> ./software/windows:
> total 80
> drwxr-xr-x. 2 root root  4096 Dec  9 21:30 .
> drwxr-xr-x. 3 root root  4096 Dec  9 21:30 ..
> -rw-r--r--. 1 root root   994 Dec  5 08:46 firstboot.bat
> -rw-r--r--. 1 root root 68928 Dec  5 08:46 rhsrvany.exe
> [root at Fedora16P2V virt-v2v]#
>
> The firstboot phase of Windows P2V migrations needs these files.  If they're missing, your P2V will run for several hours and then die.  Earlier virt-v2v versions also needed a file named rhev-apt.exe.  As of version 0.8.5.1, this is apparently no longer necessary with P2V migrations using Fedora as a migration server, although firstboot.bat still tries to run it.  I still have a copy of rhev-apt.exe on my conversion server; you can grab a copy from the latest RHEL 6.n *virt-v2v* RPM if you need it.

I fixed this for you in the latest release :) If any of the firstboot
files aren't available it'll display a warning and firstboot won't be
installed at all. However, the conversion will be successful. If you
want to install rhev-apt, though (a good idea if RHEV is your target),
you're quite right that a good place to get it is the RHEL 6 rpm. IIRC,
you can also get it from the RHEV guest tools ISO. You just have to
rename it to rhev-apt.exe and put it in the right place.

> 9. Now try a P2V.  Boot the source Windows system from the CD created earlier, connect to the Fedora
> migration server IP Address, select the profile you made and start the migration.  This should create a
> virtual machine and virtual disk images in the RHEV Exports staging area.
>
> 10.  When the migration finishes, use RHEV Manager to import the newly migrated virtual machine into the RHEV
> environment.

Thanks again for this,

Matt
--
Matthew Booth, RHCA, RHCSS

GPG ID:  D33C3490
GPG FPR: 3733 612D 2D05 5458 8A8A 1600 3441 EA19 D33C 3490