[Libguestfs] new debian packages?

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Sat Jun 4 12:26:43 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jun 03, 2011 at 08:22:11AM -0500, Igor Serebryany wrote:
> Hi!
>
> 	The debian packages for libguestfs (
> 	at http://libguestfs.org/download/binaries/debian-packages/) are a
> 	few months old, and there are some pretty important bug fixes since
> 	then. In particular, I have some cumbersome workarounds for the
> 	Python GIL bug which was fixed in April.
>
> 	I was wondering if anyone is working on building a new version
> 	of these? I tried to do it myself, but I don't have much experience
> 	building Debian packages and libguestfs looks like a hard package to
> 	start with.

I don't like building these too often, because every time I do that,
it takes the pressure off someone stepping up to maintain them in
Debian and Ubuntu.

Nevertheless I've built and uploaded new Debian packages here:
http://libguestfs.org/download/binaries/debian-packages/

New udev is required (I'm using udev 170-1).

The new febootstrap package means these should no longer require
insmod.static.  It uses its own internal insmod function now (thanks Hilko).

The packages are only very lightly tested, so don't throw away your
old config before you've properly tested the new packages.

It seems that currently there is a problem building libguestfs from
git with gcc < 4.6, because the __deprecated__ syntax changed.

Rich.