[Libguestfs] Unable to build appliance

Sean McAfee eefacm at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 21:40:00 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 12:31 PM, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 06, 2011 at 11:36:20AM -0700, Sean McAfee wrote:
> > 2.6.32-29-generic.
>
> I believe this kernel is too old -- it doesn't have virtio-serial
> which was added in 2.6.35 or 2.6.36.  Unless you can at least install
> a later kernel for guests to use, this is never going to work.

Okay, I managed to locate a machine with kernel 2.6.35-7.1.1.  I build
febootstrap-3.6 without any problems, then tried to build libguestfs-1.10.3,
and encountered a different failure mode:

rm -f stamp-supermin supermin.d/base.img supermin.d/hostfiles
./make.sh
febootstrap -v -o supermin.d --names bsdmainutils btrfs-tools cryptsetup
diff e2fsprogs gfs-tools gfs2-tools grub-pc hfsplus iproute libaugeas0
linux-image nilfs-tools ntfs-3g ntfsprogs reiserfsprogs udev ufsutils
util-linux vim-tiny xz-utils zfs-fuse acl attr bash binutils coreutils cpio
dosfstools file findutils grep gzip jfsutils lsof lvm2 module-init-tools
net-tools parted procps scrub strace tar zerofree --exclude ^perl --exclude
^python --exclude ^plymouth --exclude ^systemd --exclude ^linux-firmware
--exclude ^kbd-misc --exclude ^file-rc
registering package handler: yum-rpm
registering package handler: debian
registering package handler: pacman
febootstrap 3.6
selected package handler: debian
W: Unable to locate package btrfs-tools
W: Unable to locate package gfs-tools
W: Unable to locate package gfs2-tools
W: Unable to locate package grub-pc
W: Unable to locate package libaugeas0
W: Unable to locate package linux-image
W: Unable to locate package nilfs-tools
W: Unable to locate package ntfs-3g
W: Unable to locate package ufsutils
W: Unable to locate package xz-utils
W: Unable to locate package zfs-fuse
W: Unable to locate package scrub
W: Unable to locate package zerofree
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Building tag database... Done

Following this was 209 lines each of the form "E: No downloadable files for
<name> version <version>; perhaps it is a local or obsolete package?"

Any suggestions for how to proceed from here?  Thanks in advance.