[Libguestfs] supermin appliances and host connectivity

Joel Uckelman joel at lightboxtechnologies.com
Fri Jun 10 10:55:26 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 10:41 AM, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com>wrote:

> > Yes, I don't have udev running. Adding udev to the package list for
> building
> > the appliance seems not to be enough, as there's apparently nothing
> starting
> > it. What's the proper way to start udev in this situation?
>
> Have a look at how libguestfs does it:
>
> http://git.annexia.org/?p=libguestfs.git;a=blob;f=appliance/init;hb=HEAD
>
> The rest of the code in the appliance/ subdirectory is useful
> to look at too.
>
> Rich.

I started udev with /sbin/start_udev, as in the init script, but that seems
to have no effect ("ps aux | grep udev" gives me no output.) If I start the
guest with

 qemu-kvm -kernel kernel -initrd initrd -hda root -device virtio-serial
-serial stdio -chardev
socket,path=/home/uckelman/projects/lightbox/supermin/foo,id=channel0
-device virtserialport,chardev=channel0,name=org.libguestfs.channel.0

what should I expect the device connected to the pipe on the guest side to
be called?