[Libguestfs] FreeBSD clone fails to boot "Missing operating system"

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon Mar 28 16:04:59 UTC 2011

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 06:35:43PM +0400, Nikita A Menkovich wrote:
> I create simple script based on virt-resize as example, and I want to
> copy freebsd installation between vm's
> http://pastebin.com/ZK7Bg6FQ
> At boot I receive error "Missing operating system".

This error "Missing operating system" comes from the boot sector; you
can actually look at the boot sector very easily by doing:

  objdump -D -b binary -m i8086 cloned.img

A while back I looked into one of these boot sector disassemblies and
found that the "Missing operating system" error occurs for quite a
specific reason, although I can't quite recall what that was now.

Rich.