[Libguestfs] Fwd: Re: febootstrap in Debian

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon May 23 07:39:17 UTC 2011

On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 10:17:18PM +0400, Nikita A Menkovich wrote:
> Maybe it will be better to create separate package, that will provides
> appliances.
>
> And this will provide OS appliance created right way for current OS.
> For Debian/Ubuntu - debootstra for example.
> So we will write script for current OS, and this won't be a hack

Such a package exists -- debirf on Debian.  Guido made a heroic effort
to port libguestfs to use debirf already.

The problem is that the debirf/debootstrap combination simply does not
work.  It was constantly full of bugs and does not work more often
than it does work.

It was because I constantly had to deal with these bugs that I removed
debirf support and replaced it with the cross-platform febootstrap 3.x
that we are using now.

Rich.