[Libguestfs] Possible issue with virt-v2v writing to wrong Windows registry control set

Matthew Booth mbooth at redhat.com
Thu Nov 17 09:20:26 UTC 2011

On 16/11/11 16:08, Greg Scott wrote:
> I may have stumbled across a virt-v2v bug.
>
> I just did a successful virt-v2v migration of a Windows 2008 server from
> an ESXi host to a RHEV environment. While the VM was still on the ESXi
> side, I removed its VMWare tools and rebooted it just make sure it was
> still functional. Then I shut it down and V2V’d and imported it into RHEV.
>
> When I first powered up the new RHEV copy, it found and installed the
> driver for the Virtio NIC and tried to install the Viostor SCSI driver,
> but failed with “Access Denied”. This was strange. Looking at the
> Windows Device Manager, I noticed a SCSI controller without any driver
> and an “Unknown Device”. This looked similar to the situation when it
> was an ESXi VM.
>
> I tinkered around with drivers a little bit, trying to be the Viostor
> stuff to load. It never did. So I rebooted the VM, just to make sure it
> would come back up while I was there to watch it and I could deal with
> its missing 2^nd disk drive later. Good call – it went into a
> crash/reboot loop. Bummer.
>
> I caught it and tried “Last Known Good” from the Windows boot menu. This
> never works, but I keep trying anyway. Good thing, because this time it
> came right back up. It also successfully loaded the Viostor block driver
> this time and now there are no more SCSI controllers without drivers and
> no more Unidentified Devices. And that VM’s second hard drive also
> showed up – this was probably the “unknown device” from before.
>
> I wonder if virt-v2v wrote its registry updates to the wrong registry
> control set and I stumbled across it?
>
> And a tip for anyone else – if your Windows VM crashes after a virt-v2v,
> try booting with Last Known Good.

Can you reproduce this? Windows shouldn't be able to boot at all unless
viostor is both installed and configured in the CDD of the correct
control set. That is, afaict, the only way 'Last Known Good' would be
bootable is if virt-v2v made it that way.

That isn't to say there isn't something odd going on here...

Matt
--
Matthew Booth, RHCA, RHCSS

GPG ID:  D33C3490
GPG FPR: 3733 612D 2D05 5458 8A8A 1600 3441 EA19 D33C 3490