[Libguestfs] Virt-resize error (ntfs) : Fatal error: exception Guestfs.Error("ntfsresize_opts: /dev/vda2)

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon Nov 21 15:55:20 UTC 2011

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 03:44:51PM +0000, Morgan Cox wrote:
> root at kvm1:~# ntfsresize -v
> ntfsresize v2011.4.12AR.4 (libntfs-3g)
>
> The attempt ends with an error
>
>  Fatal error: exception Guestfs.Error("ntfsresize_opts: /dev/vda2)
>
> I have attached a txt file of the results where I have used
>
>  export LIBGUESTFS_DEBUG=1 ; export LIBGUESTFS_TRACE=1

Unfortunately it looks like the error from 'ntfsresize' went to stdout
and we didn't capture it.  But it must be something to do with
ntfsresize not being able to understand the NTFS format, for some
reason, I don't know what exactly.

> I have also tried using
>
>  virt-resize --expand /dev/sda2 /dev/vgpool/w2008webtemplate
> /dev/vgpool/wintest2
>
> as well as
>
>  virt-resize --expand /dev/vda2 /dev/vgpool/w2008webtemplate
> /dev/vgpool/wintest2
>
> Any ideas how to get it working ?

There are a couple of things you can do:

(1) Avoid the ntfsresize step entirely by using the virt-resize
--no-expand-content flag.  This just avoids the error; it doesn't
actually help you to resize the content in that partition.

And/or:

(2) Use virt-rescue on the resized guest and try doing the ntfsresize
operation on the filesystem by hand:

  virt-rescue -a /dev/vgpool/wintest2
  [..]
  ><rescue> ntfsresize /dev/vda2

You'll probably get some sort of error from that command, but it
should at least print out more information about what's going on this
time.

I'd be interested to know what the error message is.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-top