[Libguestfs] Virtio-win RPM?

Greg Scott GregScott at Infrasupport.com
Tue Nov 22 03:18:33 UTC 2011

I know I am adding a bazillion posts, but the more layers peeled from the onion, the more new layers I find.  When we finally put it all together, I will post a step by step guide so others can get there with less trouble than me.

I found an installable RPM for virtio-win.  It's in the RHN RHEL 6 Supplementary channel, so anyone with a RHEL subscription should be able to grab it.  For others, I'll bet there are flavors of this floating around.  The current RPM version is virtio-win-1.3.3-0.el6.noarch.rpm.  This sets up the virtio-win ISO and vfd files in /usr/share/virtio-win, and it sets up a drivers subdirectory with the unpacked paravirtualized drivers for various versions of Windows.

Wonderful.  But we're not out of the woods yet.

The error message below refers to programs/files we still don't have, such as firstboot.bat, rhev-apt.exe, and rhsrvany.exe.  My hunch is, these are in libguestfs-winsupport-1.0-7.el6.x86_64.rpm, in the RHEL V2V Tools Server 6 RHN channel.  But this package needs 64 bits and I'm running a 32 bit flavor of Fedora 14 because that's the variant needed for virt-p2v-image-builder.

Well, wonderful - Assuming my hunch is right, I can build a 64 bit F14 or F16 and install the packages I think I need, but what do folks without a RHEL subscription do?  (Spend some money and buy one?)  Apparently, there is no libguestfs-winsupport package for Fedora - word is, all of libguestfs is included.  But if so, then where are the missing files in the error message below?

Is there a flavor of libguestfs_winsupport for Fedora I should be looking for?

- Greg

-----Original Message-----
From: libguestfs-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:libguestfs-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of Greg Scott
Sent: Monday, November 21, 2011 7:38 PM
To: Matthew Booth; Richard W.M. Jones
Cc: Fredy Hernández; libguestfs at redhat.com
Subject: Re: [Libguestfs] Virtio-win RPM?

Finally some usable diagnostic info. Some of the earlier issues documented in this thread may have been network related.  We redid some cabling and just tried another P2V test.  Looking at /var/log/messages:

Nov 21 17:13:57 FedoraP2V virt-v2v[14428]: p2v-server started.
Nov 21 18:56:35 FedoraP2V virt-v2v[14428]: FATAL: Installation failed because the fo
llowing files referenced in the configuration file are required, but missing: /usr/s
hare/virtio-win/drivers/i386/WinXP windows/firstboot.bat windows/rhev-apt.exe window
s/rhsrvany.exe
Nov 21 18:56:35 FedoraP2V virt-v2v[14428]: p2v-server exited.
[root at FedoraP2V ~]#

The Fedora documentation says we need to do yum install virtio-win, but no such package apparently exists.

[root at FedoraP2V ~]#
[root at FedoraP2V ~]# yum install virtio-win
Loaded plugins: langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit
Adding en_US to language list
Setting up Install Process
No package virtio-win available.
Error: Nothing to do
[root at FedoraP2V ~]#
[root at FedoraP2V ~]# rpm -qa | grep virtio
[root at FedoraP2V ~]#

I remember a version of virtio-win RPM buried on a web/ftp site somewhere a couple years ago.  Where would the most recent version reside?

- Greg