[Libguestfs] read-write in LIBGUESTFS 1.20

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon Dec 17 18:07:11 UTC 2012

On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 06:57:17PM +0200, Evaggelos Balaskas wrote:
> cant find something useful.
>
> i dont want to abuse this list, so here a link for my log
>
> http://ebalaskas.gr/img/libguestfs_20121217.ebal.lrz
>
> There are three parts
>
> PART #1 : ntfsresize --info
> PART #2 : guestfish --rw -d winxp -x -v
> PART #3 : guestmount -x -v --rw -d winxp -m /dev/sda1 /media/

This is certainly an odd failure.  But the failure does seem to be
from ntfs-3g, and libguestfs is just reporting that back to you.

There are no additional messages or kernel logs from ntfs-3g which is
not very surprising since ntfs-3g runs as a userspace FUSE process
within the libguestfs appliance.  I don't know where these logs would
go, if indeed they go anywhere.

Another thing to try would be to use virt-rescue, ie:

  virt-rescue -d winxp

  [...]

  ><rescue> mount /dev/sda1 /sysroot
  ><rescue> touch /sysroot/foo

Also virt-rescue will let you run other ntfs* tools like ntfsck,
ntfsfix, ntfsinfo etc.

This thread:

  http://tuxera.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=28776

suggests that ntfs-3g will return the "Permission denied" error for
encrypted files:

  http://www.tuxera.com/community/ntfs-3g-advanced/extended-attributes/#efsinfo

although I don't think that should affect creation of new files.

In any case you can find out if a file is encrypted using virt-rescue:

  ><rescue> getfattr -h -e hex -n system.ntfs_efsinfo /sysroot/filename

Rich.