[Libguestfs] Development and hosting arrangements

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Jan 4 13:51:30 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jan 04, 2012 at 09:36:04PM +0800, Wanlong Gao wrote:
> On 12/17/2011 06:33 AM, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>

> > First of all, http://git.annexia.org/ should be back up now.  The
> > problem was 'pilot error' -- I accidentally removed libvirt from that
> > server, which generally broke things.
> >
> > Secondly, starting in January I hope we can agree on some changes to
> > the libguestfs development and hosting arrangement, to bring it more
> > in line with how libvirt is developed, and to resolve some other
> > issues.
> >
> > In brief:
> >
> >  - Host the main git repo on a public git site (such as github - TBD).
> >
> >  - Allow more people to commit directly to the repository.
> >
> >  - Have some sort of agreement on patch review, number of ACKs (TBD).
> >
> >  - Use gerrit for patch review?
> >
> >  - We'll move libguestfs.org to a new host which will allow other
> >    people to upload things; I know hillu wants to host some Debian
> >    packages, and unfortunately this is not possible with the current
> >    hosting arrangement.
> >
> > We can't do any of the above until the beginning of January, so this
> > email isn't to open a discussion.  Let's have that in the new year.
> >
> > Rich.
> >

> Now, is it time to open this discussion?

Yes it is.

I don't have any special preferences about this.

For github it looks like someone has to pay:
https://github.com/plans

I suspect, though I didn't ask, that Red Hat won't be willing to pay
for this, because Red Hat indirectly supports Fedora's git hosting
(http://git.fedorahosted.org/) which is rubbish compared to github,
but free.

I was always reluctant to use fedorahosted since it implies that
libguestfs is somehow tied to Fedora, which it isn't (in fact quite
the opposite: some Fedora members have been actively hostile to
libguestfs).  Perhaps this is not a concern -- after all, we use
plenty of projects that are hosted on LaunchPad.

Another possibility is OpenShift (https://openshift.redhat.com).

Rich.