Re: [Libguestfs] GObject bindings overview

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 02:14:34PM +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
Cancellation:
*************

Certain apis are cancellable. These all take a GCancellable as the
final argument before GError **. This can be passed NULL if
cancellation is not required. While I have written cancellation, I
have not yet tested it *at all* other than it compiles and works
correctly when NULL is passed in.

We recently made Cancellable an explicit flag whereas before it was
implicit if the api had a FileIn or FileOut argument. This means it
is now possible to break the GObject api without breaking the C api
with the addition of a Cancellable flag. What potential solutions
are there to this problem? I can see:

• Live with breaking the GObject api if it ever comes up.
• Never add Cancellable to an existing api.
• Automatically add a GCancellable argument to all GObject apis,
just in case.

I think option 2 is the only long term viable approach. If any existing
APIs needs to be made cancellable, then define a new API that is the
same, but with the cancellable flag set.

So the concern is that the GObject ABI changes?

 From my point of view I don't really care, since we only guarantee the
(real) C ABI.

But can we add GCancellable to everything?

You can certainly add it as an argument. We can ignore it entirely if the api isn't actually cancellable. It's a bit ugly, though.

Matt
--
Matthew Booth, RHCA, RHCSS

GPG ID:  D33C3490
GPG FPR: 3733 612D 2D05 5458 8A8A 1600 3441 EA19 D33C 3490