[Libguestfs] New tool proposal

Wanlong Gao gaowanlong at cn.fujitsu.com
Fri Jun 1 09:11:37 UTC 2012

> On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 02:52:59PM +0800, Wanlong Gao wrote:
>> I looked into this, now Rich, I have a more question,
>> if we doing like
>> virt-diff --seed Guest0 -d Guest1 -d Guest2 /etc
>> We can mount the device of Guest0 to "/", but where the devices from Guest1 and Guest2 can be mounted?
>
> The mkmountpoint call allows you to have multiple "roots":
>
> http://libguestfs.org/guestfs.3.html#guestfs_mkmountpoint
>
> *However*, this won't work for general guests, where for example two
> guests might have conflicting logical volumes or UUIDs which are
> duplicated.  It's simply not possible to safely mount multiple guests
> in a single appliance.  The solution is to use two libguestfs handles.

It seems hard to launch two libguestfs handles at the same time, right?
Now, many functions like inspect_mount(), inspect_do_decrypt() use the
global libguestfs handle without any argument, so, when inspecting two
different handles, we can't use these functions now, would you like to
make them being able to handle individual libguestfs handles?
And, some global values like live, read_only, etc.
And, we haven't considered that we could launch more than one libguestfs
handles at the same time, right? Are there some troubles doing things like
this?

Thanks,
Wanlong Gao