[Libguestfs] virt-resize

Dan The Man dan at sunsaturn.com
Mon Jun 25 14:04:26 UTC 2012

On Mon, 25 Jun 2012, Nikita A Menkovich wrote:

> For now, UFS in Linux do not support resizing at all. There is only
> one way to resize: create new image, partition, attach to existing
> freebsd, install bootloader, sync files.

Don't think guestmount even supports ufs even if it is enabled either:
Did a quick download of this read only ufs module:
rpm -i kmod-ufs-0.0-1.el6.elrepo.x86_64.rpm

cappy:~# modprobe ufs
cappy:~# guestmount -a /dev/virtual/freebsd -m /dev/sda2 /freebsd -r
libguestfs: error: mount_options: /dev/vda2 on /: mount: unknown
filesystem type 'ufs'
guestmount: '/dev/sda2' could not be mounted.  Did you mean one of these?
         /dev/vda1 (unknown)
         /dev/vda2 (ufs)
         /dev/vda3 (unknown)
cappy:~# kpartx -av /dev/virtual/freebsd
add map virtual-freebsd1 (253:6): 0 128 linear /dev/virtual/freebsd 34
add map virtual-freebsd2 (253:7): 0 19920768 linear /dev/virtual/freebsd
162
add map virtual-freebsd3 (253:8): 0 1048576 linear /dev/virtual/freebsd
19920930
cappy:~# mount -t ufs -o ro,ufstype=ufs2 /dev/mapper/virtual-freebsd2
/freebsd
cappy:~# ls /freebsd/
bin  boot  COPYRIGHT  dev  entropy  etc  home  lib  libexec  media  mnt
proc  rescue  root  sbin  sys  tmp  usr  var
cappy:~#

Guess still some uses for kpartx, curious what outcome would have been if
a recompiled kernel with read-write ufs support here, or is ufs hardcoded
as non supported?

Dan.

--
Dan The Man