[Libguestfs] mounting using guestfish

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Fri Mar 9 09:52:41 UTC 2012

On Fri, Mar 09, 2012 at 01:11:23AM -0800, THO HUYNH wrote:
> Do you have any documentation about the implementation of mounting
> using guestfish.  I want to know how it works inside then write the
> script.

Libguestfs live access works slightly differently from ordinary use of
libguestfs, and all the examples only explain the ordinary way.

The main documentation is here:

http://libguestfs.org/guestfs.3.html#api_overview

Once you've decided what language you want to use, you'll need to
follow one of these pages:

http://libguestfs.org/guestfs-perl.3.html
http://libguestfs.org/guestfs-python.3.html
http://libguestfs.org/guestfs-ocaml.3.html
http://libguestfs.org/guestfs-ruby.3.html
http://libguestfs.org/guestfs-java.3.html

Because it's live, you need to add the domain using the 'live' option,
see:

http://libguestfs.org/guestfs.3.html#guestfs_add_domain

To download and upload between handles, you'll need to use two
threads, a pipe between them, and the regular download/upload APIs:

http://libguestfs.org/guestfs.3.html#guestfs_download
http://libguestfs.org/guestfs.3.html#guestfs_upload
http://libguestfs.org/guestfs.3.html#guestfs_tar_out
http://libguestfs.org/guestfs.3.html#guestfs_tar_in
(etc)

I suggest writing some code and reading the many programs in the
source of libguestfs, and if you get stuck, posting specific questions
on the mailing list.

Rich.