Re: [Libguestfs] virt-sysprep future

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 10:00:53AM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> (1) We add FUSE support directly to the API, linking with libfuse.
> This is essentially the same as what was outlined in link [i] back in
> December 2011.
[...]
> The problem with (1) is that we are not confident that it's a good
> idea to use libfuse as a true library.  It doesn't appear that anyone
> else is using it this way.

I'll also add that libfuse makes it tricky to use multiple handles.

Specifically, FUSE callbacks get no context at all, eg: getattr's
parameters are:

  static int getattr (const char *path, struct stat *statbuf);

If libfuse could be called from multiple threads, each with its own
handle, then how would you know which handle to use?  (The answer
possibly involves using thread-local storage, but that's hairy if
either handle is multithreaded).