[Libguestfs] virt-sysprep on Windows Guest

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Fri May 25 07:46:00 UTC 2012

On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 03:34:40PM +0800, Wanlong Gao wrote:
> On 05/25/2012 03:30 PM, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>
> > On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 01:47:53PM +0800, Wanlong Gao wrote:
> >> Hi Rich, folks,
> >>
> >> I wont to start doing the windows guest support for virt-sysprep,
> >> Any thoughts?
> >>
> >> What do you think should be prepared on a new cloned windows guest?
> >
> > The main thing is to be able to run Microsoft's sysprep tool
> > on a Windows guest.
> >
> > Chris wrote some code to do this already in this branch of oz, but
> > it's very complex:
> >
> > https://github.com/clalancette/oz/tree/win2k8customize
> >
> > See in particular:
> > https://github.com/clalancette/oz/blob/win2k8customize/oz/Windows.py
> >
> > People will also want to set the hostname (--hostname option) and run
> > scripts (--script option).
>

> So, it's no necessary to support windows in our virt-sysprep because
> it already has a tool to do the same thing for windows, right?

Windows has a sysprep tool which does the right thing for all Windows
guests, and it's impossible to know what that tool does or replicate
it.  However it requires a multi-step process to run sysprep on a
guest, so we should make that easier for users if we can.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v