Re: [Libguestfs] virt-sysprep on Windows Guest

On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 03:52:53PM +0800, Wanlong Gao wrote:
> On 05/25/2012 03:46 PM, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > Windows has a sysprep tool which does the right thing for all Windows
> > guests, and it's impossible to know what that tool does or replicate
> You mean it's not a Open Source project?

Definitely not.  In modern versions of Windows, it is included (under
%systemroot%/System32/sysprep).  For older versions you had to
download it as a separate tool.

> > it.  However it requires a multi-step process to run sysprep on a
> > guest, so we should make that easier for users if we can.
> Could you explain more detailedly to me since I'm not familiar with
> the stupid Windows system ?

It's pretty complicated.  Probably the best thing is to read
Microsoft's documentation on how to use it:

in conjunction with the Oz code:

It's not easy, which is why we haven't got around to doing it so far.