[Libguestfs] cdrom device handling

Olaf Hering olaf at aepfle.de
Fri Oct 12 15:43:58 UTC 2012

On Fri, Oct 12, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

> virt-rescue should come up with the disk and CD-ROM as /dev/sda and
> /dev/sdb respectively.  This should be enough to read the data off the
> CD (/dev/sdb).  What else would you want to do?

I have not tried it, but I can imagine the following can happen:
Depending on the order of devices a disk may come after the first cdrom.
So a disk 'sdb' in the guest may become 'sdc' in the guest. If one does
a chroot into the guest to do some fixup _and_ if something within that
guest is configured to use kernel device names (like sdb) instead of
LABEL/UUID then failures can occur.

So its just about providing some correctness in virt-rescue.

Olaf