[Libguestfs] libguestfs-test-tool error, libcap.so - no such file

Skippy VonDrake skippyvondrake at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 17:32:02 UTC 2013

>> I still don't understand why after installing it on the system the
>> libraries aren't linked up properly.
>>
>> $ guestfish --version
>> guestfish: error while loading shared libraries: libguestfs.so.0:
>> cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>
> Is /usr/local/lib in the dynamic linker path?  You might need
> to add it to '/etc/ld.so.conf'.

My linux skills are "questionable' but I'd thought something like that
would have already been properly configured when gcc gets pulled down
and installed with a package manager.  But I'm learning...

My ld.so.conf file references all '*.conf' in /etc/ld.so.conf.d/. And
/usr/local/lib is present in one of them.

In order to get libguestfs-test-tool to work I made this link:
   sudo ln -s /usr/local/lib/libguestfs.so
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libguestfs.so.0

If there is a more correct solution please let me know.