[Libguestfs] Problem with virt-sysprep

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Apr 8 22:07:00 UTC 2014

On Mon, Apr 07, 2014 at 10:12:05PM -0700, Stuart Young wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I was wondering if you could help me with a problem I'm having with
> virt-sysprep. It's a recurrent problem running virt-sysprep:
>
>    Examining the guest ...
>    Fatal error: exception Guestfs.Error("guestfs_launch failed.
>    See http://libguestfs.org/guestfs-faq.1.html#debugging-libguestfs
>    and/or run 'libguestfs-test-tool'.")
>
> So I ran virt-sysprep and libguestfs-test-tool after setting these:
>
>  export LIBGUESTFS_DEBUG=1
>  export LIBGUESTFS_TRACE=1
>
> ... and have attached the output files.

Thanks for the detailed debugging information.  The bug is really very
strange:

  mkdtemp: /tmp/lvmKOCUDb: No such file or directory

It comes from this code in the appliance:

  https://github.com/libguestfs/libguestfs/blob/master/daemon/lvm-filter.c#L72

That link is to the latest upstream code.  It hasn't changed at all
since 1.20 (or for years before that), so I find it quite baffling why
it is failing now.

Is /tmp (on your host) a regular directory or have you moved it or
symlinked it or done something else to it?

You could try the following which should cause a real /tmp directory
to be created in the appliance:

  mkdir tmp
  echo tmp | cpio --quiet -o -H newc > /usr/lib64/guestfs/supermin.d/00-tmp.img
  rmdir tmp

Rich.