[Libguestfs] libguestfs and zfs-fuse

Andre Goree andre at drenet.net
Mon Feb 3 20:12:28 UTC 2014

I'm wondering whether or not anyone has tried to use guestmount on an
image with a ZFS partition (MBR partition table).  I can't seem to find
much on the internet regarding it, but I do see hints that may lead me
to a solution.  I'm under the impression that libguestfs can use what
ever is available to the kernel on the host -- in my case I have zfs-use
installed and running.  I can't seem to mount the image, however.

It's the exact same problem stated in this link[1], however I'm not able
to discern what exactly is needed to have guestmount be aware that the
volume is a zfs partition.  In my trace, I see the following (larger
selection here[2]):

libguestfs: recv_from_daemon: received GUESTFS_LAUNCH_FLAG
libguestfs: [03558ms] appliance is up
libguestfs: trace: launch = 0
libguestfs: trace: mount_options "" "/dev/sda1" "/"
libguestfs: send_to_daemon: 72 bytes: 00 00 00 44 | 20 00 f5 f5 | 00 00
00 04 | 00 00 00 4a | 00 00 00 00 | ...
guestfsd: main_loop: new request, len 0x44
/dev/sda1: No such file or directory
mount -o  /dev/vda1 /sysroot/
mount: unknown filesystem type 'zfs_member'
guestfsd: error: /dev/vda1 on /: mount: unknown filesystem type
'zfs_member'

 From the aforementioned link, I should use zpool import -d $(dir) -R
(mountpoint) to mount ZFS filesystems, however I'm not sure how to
reconcile that with the 'guestmount' command or whether or not it's a
possibility.  Since zfs-fuse is a dependency of libguestfs itself,
though, I'm hoping someone has made the attempt other than myself and
can provide a bit of insight, thanks in advance!

[1]https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1279000
[2]http://pastebin.com/dw0vyWB1

--
Andre Goree