[Libguestfs] Libguestfs in CentOS 7.0

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu Jul 10 21:01:12 UTC 2014

Libguestfs in CentOS 7.0 is broken at the moment.

You will see this error:

  supermin-helper: ext2: parent directory not found: centos-release: File not found by ext2_lookup

At the moment I'm not sure why this happens.  The tests ran
successfully when libguestfs was built (according to the build logs
now published at buildlogs.centos.org).

There are two ways to fix this:

(1) [Recommended] Use the RHEL 7.1 preview packages:

    https://www.redhat.com/archives/libguestfs/2014-May/msg00090.html

    These preview packages are:
      - easy to install
      - use supermin 5 which is far more robust
      - have a much more featureful version of libguestfs
      - are similar to the libguestfs packages we will ship in RHEL 7.1
    I have verified that the preview packages work fine on CentOS 7.0.

(2) Alternately, edit /usr/lib64/guestfs/supermin.d/hostfiles and
    remove all the lines that contain the substring `redhat-release'.

Thanks: Rob Oakes for reporting the problem and suggesting the second fix.

Rich.