[Libguestfs] IRC question: is there a list of supported guest OSes and filesystems

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu Sep 18 07:28:25 UTC 2014

00:48 < agn> Hello libguestFS developers
00:48 < agn> a question: is there a list of supported guest OSes and filesystems for 'libguestfs' ?
00:49 < agn> I'm trying to use it on some non-linux guests (under KVM with qcow2 images), and it doesn't seem to work.
00:49 < agn> Just wanted to make sure I'm not spending time on something that's officially not supported

[ As the topic says .. stay in the channel! ]

Libguestfs supports every filesystem that Linux supports (assuming it
is enabled either compiled in or as a module in your host kernel).

The only significant filesystem I'm aware of which is not supported is
Windows ReFS, only because no one has reverse engineered and
implemented a Linux driver for it yet.

Inspection supports a subset of all operating systems.  We aim to
support all of them.

If you find an OS / filesystem which doesn't work, please file a bug.

Rich.