[Libguestfs] extract NTFS Master File Table for analysis

noxdafox noxdafox at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 17:40:12 UTC 2016

Greetings,

I'm playing around an idea and I'd like to ask you some questions.

I'd like to extract the MFT table from a disk image file. The idea is to
employ it to build a sort of reverse lookup table which, given a
cluster, could retrieve the corresponding file with the related metadata.

Such table could be used to optimize the analysis of disk snapshots in
order to collect the changes which happened on the disk. As the disk
snapshots contains only the new or modified clusters, I could avoid
exploring the whole FS content and focus on what has really changed on disk.

Did you explore the concept anyhow? Is there a way I can use libguestfs
to locate and extract the MFT table from a disk image?

Thank you.