Re: [Libguestfs] Appliance image. Why raw?

On 20.06.2017 19:06, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 06:48:16PM +0300, Pavel Butsykin wrote:
On 20.06.2017 18:41, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 06:34:28PM +0300, Pavel Butsykin wrote:
On 20.06.2017 17:47, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 05:04:53PM +0300, Pavel Butsykin wrote:
I noticed that raw is intentionally used as image format for appliance
image. So I would like to ask, is there any reason to use raw as image
format for appliance?

The simple answer is because we create the appliance image (it's an
ext2/3/4 filesystem) using e2fsprogs, and that library wouldn't know
how to create anything else since it always assumes it's writing
directly to a device.

https://github.com/libguestfs/supermin/blob/master/src/format_ext2.mli#L22-L29

HTH,

Yes, the main point is clear, thanks.

I asked because we supply the prepared appliance, so would like to use
qcow2. Given that the applaince image is completely controlled, for
supermin and fixed appliance, in both the cases. We could use
autodetect, it is already implemented in qemu, so to add it to
libguestfs will simply. I'm going to prepare the patches, what do you
think?

./configure-time option? >
Autodetection is actually not insecure with modern qemu, but people
still think it is ...

Yes, but in our case it will be safe, because we have full control over
appliance image.

As long as a configure time option will work for you, I'd
prefer to do that.

Yes, the configure time option to enable autodetection of appliance
image format will be fine, thanks!