[Libosinfo] [v2 1/8] API to query format of device driver

Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) zeeshanak at gnome.org
Sat Feb 16 03:38:27 UTC 2013

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 12:40 PM, Christophe Fergeau
<cfergeau at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 07:16:59PM +0200, Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 6:54 PM, Christophe Fergeau <cfergeau at redhat.com> wrote:
>> > I'm still not fully convinced that we really need all this 'format' API in
>> > the first place, pre/post install drivers and install scripts are all
>> > listed in an <os> node, if an install script for a given OS does not
>> > support a driver format, why is it listed in the first place in the <os>
>> > node?
>>
>> I just wanted to support the case of providing information about
>> drivers even if our autoinstallation script does not support them.
>> Having said that I'm not sure such information would be of any use to
>> the apps. No strong opinions so I'll let you decide if its needed or
>> not.
>
> At worse (ie if in the future we add an install script that does not
> support one driver we list), applications will try to use the driver, but
> this will fail, right? I guess when we get to such a situation, we can look
> into adding this API, but that for now having it is not required. Correct
> me if I'm missing something :)

Actually you and I both missed something important here: The libosinfo
db doesn't just come from libosinfo. We allow downstream and apps to
add to the DB. They can as well add new device drivers. Keeping that
in mind, I would like you to reconsider the format related patches.

--
Regards,

Zeeshan Ali (Khattak)
FSF member#5124