[Libosinfo] (no subject)

Lasse Schuirmann lasse.schuirmann at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 14:16:34 UTC 2014

> On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 7:00 PM, Lasse Schuirmann
> <lasse.schuirmann at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Hi,

>>> Cool.

>>> So that means you didn't get it to work without internet connection?
>>> I'm sure the answer is 'yes' but just to be 100% sure, you did try w/o
>>> internet connection to see if it works?
>> This is true. I tried it without internet connection, I also tried
>> some more modifications on the script to make it run without internet
>> connection but it didn't work.
>
> Ah ok, thanks.
>
>> (In fact it works with ubuntu but not
>> with debian btw.)
>
> Hmm.. that would make things complicated and we'll need to separate
> the install scripts for debian and ubuntu then since props are
> per-script/profile.

This is actually the case at the moment IIRC. Ubuntu has an own JEOS
script and doesn't reuse the debian one with some ubuntu specific
templates.

>> On the debian documentation they say that some messages are priorized
>> in a way that they can not be preseeded. I assume this "No network
>> available" is one of these. Of course I tried to not use the network
>> in the first place (there is a use-mirror tag you can set to false)
>> but these kinds of efforts haven't lead to success.
>
> And this is full DVD rather than a netinstall CD?
Full DVD. In fact I tried six different ones.

I did even more tests and now have an explanation why installation
without internet connection doesnt work: Remember, it tries to install
Gnome independently from which DVD you use. None of my DVDs included
Gnome. However installing the standard package (without any GUI) does
work without any internet connection. (This explains why ubuntu works
because I choosed ubuntu-desktop there. It is probably that any ubuntu
spinoff ISO with the ubuntu volume ID will not work without extra
handling.)

I tried leaving out the tasksel command in the hope that the default
value would do this, but we already discussed this. I don't see any
option besides guessing the desktop environment from the filename
(since the Volume IDs dont differ).

Greetings

Lasse Schuirmann