[Libvir] man page for virsh

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Mon Apr 10 20:56:38 UTC 2006

On Mon, Apr 10, 2006 at 10:35:24PM -0400, Andrew Puch wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-04-10 at 09:29 -0400, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> >   Cool ! Thanks, I'm adding the man page to the distribution. However
> > I don't feel like adding the pod file directly, I'm a bit concerned by the
> > building dependancy it represents so I can't make it really part of the
> > sources. I'm more used to DocBook based man pages, even though I think
> > it is a pain to maintain.
> Nod , maybe a make doc part of the make file ??
>

> Are choices are as follows
>
> # 1 pod , some say it is evil do to the perl.
>
> # 2 docbook2x
> 	http://docbook2x.sourceforge.net/
> 	Some say it is evil do to the nature of the perl, that
> 	allows the above program  to do the the man pages.
>
> # 3 create yet another program to do the above.

  Usually I use just the normal docbook to man stylesheets coming from
Norman Walsh release and packaged like everywhere. You need to follow
an exmaple but then you have a .xml and is a single xsltproc command
to generate the man page. That's what we use for the man pages in libxml2
and libxslt.

> > the man page for libvirt.3 , except that I really don't know my roff and
> > don't know what need to be generated in practice ...
>
> If we want to do down the path of docbook, then I think we should
> leverage the +2 man years in docbook2x, vs rolling a new program that
> will take us a few go around to get right.

Well, the docbook stylesheets from Norm are from one of the main docbook author
and from one of the XSLT standard guys, the 2 years of docbook2x can't really
compare :-)

> Also going down the doc book path, do we want to start with the
> internationalization efforts ??

  I don't think we are really targetting normal users at this point, maybe for
virsh, but english only for now sounds just fine to me (I'm biased, a biased
french :-)